By David M. Earle
Read or Download Re-Covering Modernism: Pulps, Paperbacks, and the Prejudice of Form PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
This comparative research crosses a number of cultures, traditions, genres, and languages so that it will discover the actual significance of Homer within the emergence, improvement, and advertising of modernist writing. It indicates how and why the Homeric epics served either modernist formal experimentation, together with Pound's poetics of the fragment and Joyce's sprawling epic novel, and sociopolitical evaluations, together with H.
Through the 20th century, jap noh drama used to be an incredible artistic catalyst for American and eu writers, dancers, and composers. The noh theater’s stylized choreography, poetic chant, magnificent costumes and mask, and engagement with heritage encouraged Western artists as they reimagined new techniques to culture and shape.
Whereas Baudelaire's 'Le Peintre de los angeles vie moderne' is frequently pointed out because the first expression of our idea of modernism, his number of Constantin men as that painter has triggered consternation from the instant of the essay's e-book in 1863. Worse nonetheless, in his 'Salon de 1859', Baudelaire had additionally selected to sentence images in phrases that echo to today.
Mining quite a few records and newspaper repositories, Elizabeth Robins Pennell, Nineteenth-Century Pioneer of recent paintings feedback offers the 1st full-length learn of a striking lady and heretofore ignored artwork critic. Pennell, a prolific 'New paintings Critic', helped formulate and increase formalist method in Britain on the finish of the 19th century, which she utilized to her as a rule nameless or pseudonymous studies released in different American and British newspapers and periodicals among 1883 and 1923.
- Modernism, Periodicals, and Cultural Poetics
- Colonialism and the Modernist Moment in the Early Novels of Jean Rhys (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Fragmenting Modernism: Ford Madox Ford, the novel and the Great War
- The African American Roots of Modernism: From Reconstruction to the Harlem Renaissance (The John Hope Franklin Series in African American History and Culture)
- Literary Impressionism: Vision and Memory in Dorothy Richardson, Ford Madox Ford, H.D. and May Sinclair (Historicizing Modernism)
Additional resources for Re-Covering Modernism: Pulps, Paperbacks, and the Prejudice of Form
Re-Covering Modernism: Pulps, Paperbacks, and the Prejudice of Form by David M. Earle